Sunday, September 10, 2006

Picture Perfect

A summer's evening around 5-ish. I am waiting for her. It must have rained for a little while by then. There was this distinctive smell of the earth when it rains on a summer day, it was irresistible. Add a mild breeze to it.

There were a few tiny tots dressed cute and lovely playing around. I love kids. They also make great subjects for taking pictures, but they aren't easy as they flex one or the other muscle, before you take a shot. I try a few, I know I am not happy with the ones I could take. I manage to get hold of a Caribou's coffee, I like them better these days than Starbucks. I would have preferred a Tim Hortons' if I were in Buffalo or anywhere in Canada. Yeah, nothing beats filter coffee from SLV or UD. Back to the scene, the coffee smells great. I only needed a glimpse of her, it was already intoxicating!

I stroll a bit. She was supposed to be there by 6, time was ticking but I was a little early. Then I think, I couldn't have waited for so long. It was already a month since I saw her last. damn! It strikes me then, I was at the wrong place, I was supposed to see her a few blocks away. But it wasn't far. I could take a walk from there. I start walking. I am still thinking as well. I know I shouldn't be doing both. I am reminded of Zen's mindless meditation. I have always wondered how it actually works, if it is possible to pursue it as a way of life. I bring my mind back to what I was thinking. I start wondering what she might be wearing today. She was wearing a black skirt and a black top, the last time we met. and she looked great! I had managed to sneak in a couple of snaps without her knowledge! Ya! They have come out pretty decent, though she looked a lot better in real. But It ain't easy to shoot when you don't wan't someone to know that they are being shot. I stop walking, take a breath. I was at the right place, 5 minutes before 6.

Time ticks by. It was already 30 minutes past six. and there were no signs of her. I had a lot of things to talk to her. The one thing we had in common was the love for music. She is a violonist. and does she play it well! She hasn't been exposed to Indian music. But I do love celtic music a lot. If you listen to Knopfler, you would know that he is influenced by celtic music, he was born in Scotland. There is an infuence of Scottish and Irish folk music on Jazz as well, there is also what is known as celtic Jazz, which I haven't heard much.

It was already 7 and was getting a little dark. What if she doesn't come, I think.. She couldn't do that, I still remember the last time we met and she was playing her violin, She used to glance at me with an assured smile, that couldn't be deceptive.. hmmm..

I think maybe I should call her. I had taken her number, though I wasn't sure if it was her personal phone. I call. I could hear a man's voice on the phone, though it wasn't very clear. I ask for her, he says that the concert was cancelled for the day, and the band had moved back to Ireland.

It starts raining heavily, I run for shelter.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

ahem! :-).....




Guru

SimblyDimply said...

Sometimes it is only the wait..
that proves to be the ultimate bait..

Jawani aisi hain ghan-chakkar..

Main to tang agayi iske shararatonme piskar!

Well, baharein aur bhi ayengi! (rolling eyes!)

Enigma said...

oye why did ya dlete my comment ?

direkishore said...

@simblydimply sigh!

@enigma it's an enigma! :) I republished to correct a typo, ur comment was gone, thats the reason i had replied on ur blog.

Anonymous said...

Oh...

Archana Bahuguna said...

You write really well ... I came upon your blog through orkut. Cheers!

direkishore said...

@archana welcome to my blog and thank you!

Akira said...

Beautiful :)...liked the "it starts raining heavily" line.

direkishore said...

@akira thank you!

Anonymous said...

Who is this person ???

Sucha

Anonymous said...

Move on. There are plenty of fish in this big ocean, hopefully much better and less slippery ones. Good luck.

Categories

Blog Archive

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 2.5 License.