Sunday, July 18, 2004

Ardh Satya...

Ek palde mein napunsakta, doosre palde mein paurush, aur theek tarazu ke kaante par, ardh satya …

This is a line from one of my favorite movies, Ardh Satya(Half-Truth). Om Puri plays a sub-inspector in Mumbai, who carries several emotional scars from the past and fights alone against the scum of the society.. it is a truely provocative and challenging movie.. If there was an equivalent in hollywood though with a much different storyline, it would be my other favorite, Taxi Driver. This one is a chilling character study of a man struggling to come to terms with the environment he lives in, brilliantly portrayed by Robert De Niro.

"I believe that unarmed truth and unconditional love will have the final word in reality. This is why right, temporarily defeated, is stronger than evil triumphant."-- Martin Luther King

Gandhi's My experiments with truth: One facet of the book that has inspired me always is the great man's courage to speak the truth. He is least worried whether his "mahatma" image in a country of billion and many more followers across the world would get tarnished if he spoke the truth. When he speaks about his inability to resist his carnal lust even at the critical hour of his father's death or his temptations in his struggle to follow true brahmacharya there is no "ardh-satya".

As I see and grow in life, what stuns me in my experiences is how people try to distance from truth shying away from reality. Neither am I a mahatma, nor a cop fighting politicians or a person exposed to brothels, but these characters seem to have etched an indelible mark on my mind.

Current Music: Sachchi baat kahi thi maine: Jagjith Singh in Face to Face

No comments:

Categories

Blog Archive

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 2.5 License.