Friday, April 07, 2006

Close to my Heart

Through one's journey of Life, certain people and places leave their mark on you forever. There are a few people in my life too who have left an indelible mark and a few places as well that I will remember forever. But this post is not about any of them, it is about another facet of Life, one which has left the most impressions on me, one which has been my true companion for years, it is Music.

Looking back, having spent almost ten of my last fifteen years away from family and not being a bibliophile nor an extrovert only meant that I spent most time with my first love, Music.

When I was at high school, since my home was about 20 kms away from the school in the outskirts, daily commuting using the BTS bus (aka public transport) was very tedious. So I moved into a rented place, which was much closer to school. It was a small room on the first floor in an old locality between Ramakrishna Ashram and Ganesh Bhavan in the southern part of Bangalore. It was my first "peek" into urban life, everything seemed different than I had anticipated. Friends were few and all I had was a radio player which I used to listen to a lot whenever I was bored. Vividh Bharathi was my favourite station. It had some really good programs- Gunjan, Hawa Mahal, Aap Ki Farmaish .. and they made a great companion. I never felt out of place.

Old Hindi Film Music (yes, with the adjective old) that I listened to then was the first form of good music I tasted. Since then, It always has been special to me, though I graduated listening to Indian Classical, Non Filmi Ghazals, Classic Rock and more recently to Jazz. It was not just about the melody, but also some wonderful lyrics which I could easily identify myself with and appreciate the sensitivity.

There are a few artistes, who I am especially fond of and will be posting blogs about some of them.

People have come and people have gone, with new promises and old disappointments but these tunes and verses still linger on... They are, close to my heart..

O Mere Humraahi
Meri Baah Thaame Chalna
Badle Duniya Saari
Tum Na Badalna....
....
....



(Lyricist: Shailendra
Album: Guide, Year: 1965)

5 comments:

Tejaswi said...

I remember your music collection at home, and how each album had it's proper cover, properly indexed, and in splendid working condition.

Introvert? Who? You?!?

Btw, I still have your Dangerous double CD set at home, I think. Will return it the next time we meet :)

Somewhat nostalgic for me as well, I had even forgotten about Ganesh Bhavan!!

direkishore said...

Introvert or Extrovert (?), I have had my bouts of both, I still do. But I somehow think, that being an introvert comes natural to me than being an extrovert.

Enigma said...

aww iam all nostalgic!

molarbear's posts said...

I know it's an old post, but I have just got to your blog, and I loved this one.

Good poetry melts my heart and I feel exalted.

deponti of LJ, molarbear on blogger.com

direkishore said...

@deponti thank you.

Categories

Blog Archive

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 2.5 License.