Wednesday, April 12, 2006

Kanneera dhare ideke, ideke...


Karnataka has lost it's beloved son, Dr. Rajkumar.

He was a fine human being. One of the more versatile actors of Indian Cinema, his contribution to Kannada is immense. Some of my favorite movies include Kasturi Nivasa, Mayura, Babruvahana, Bhakta Kumbhara and Bangarada Manushya. He defined what a true kannadiga is, humble, unassuming, non-controversial, non-political and a man of principles.

To me, more than an actor, he was the best Kannada singer. Though he started singing midway through his career replacing the wonderful PB Srinivas, the Rafi of South, he was a true gaana kogile, nightingale. Not classically trained, he excelled with his sheer talent and a genuine voice.

It is a shame or probably I was being yet another hypocrite kannadiga, who doesn’t give his language it’s due when I didn't mention kannada film music in my last blog. Coincidentally or as a console, my i-pod has been playing his songs for the last few days.

These are some of my all time favorite songs, sung by Dr. Rajkumar.

1) Kanneera Dhare Ideke Ideke
2) Baanigondu Elle Ellide
3) Jenina Holeyo
4) Chinnada Mallige Hoove
5) Yava Kaviyu Bareyalara
6) Nadamaya
7) Haalu Jenu


I can imagine millions of people thronging on the streets of Bangalore to get his last glimpse. I wouldn’t be surprised if the entire state shuts down today, Corporate and Government Offices alike.

Annavaru will be truly missed by every single Kannadiga on this day and forever.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nijawaglu kano..sikkapatte bejar aythu...I wish I was in blore..atleast could have seen him once last..

As you said, one of the best singers kannada industry has ever produced. A very simple man...

my cousin sent the following..
``aadisuvaata besara moodi aata mugisida.."
``Sutrava harida bombeya murida...mannagisida.."

Anonymous said...

Kishore , Your site is one of the best on music I have come across. I truly enjoyed every post of yours and I just wanted to say it.

Categories

Blog Archive

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 2.5 License.