Sunday, July 30, 2006

tumula: Of Ambitions and Mediocrity

Why am I mediocre? I often question myself; it either makes me hate myself when I feel that I am the reason for it or pity myself when I feel that maybe I am not the reason. Irrespective of these feelings, the thought persists. It continues to hurt. Why do I feel so? For one, it is because that I pursue petty things. For another, it is because I feel insignificant. The insignificance of the pursuit and the self itself is the cause.

Unfortunately Mediocrity and Ambition often go together and that is when it hurts. If you had no ambitions, life would be easier. But would I prescribe complacency to someone? definitely not, that’s another issue. Someone said there is perhaps more uniformity in excellence than in mediocrity. It appears puzzling rather counter-intuitive, but a little deeper thought reveals what it means. However it only raises further questions. Coming back to the question why I am mediocre, I don’t know, the simplest answer would be that it is probably because I am not a genius. Is it just that? The mind wanders, and hopes it is not.

What about individualism then? Doesn’t it suggest that mediocrity is self-imposed? Ayn Rand says "Mediocrity doesn't mean average intelligence; it means an average intelligence that resents and envies its betters." I don’t necessarily agree with this. To me mediocrity is about me, it is not a relative term.

This quote has kept me interested for a long time,

"But even when we are sharpened and quickened intellectually by argument, by discussion, by reading, this does not actually bring about that quality of sensitivity. And you know all those people who are erudite, who read, who theorize, who can discuss brilliantly, are extraordinarily dull people. So I think sensitivity, which destroys mediocrity, is very important to understand. Because most of us are becoming, I am afraid, more mediocre. We are not using that word in any derogative sense at all, but merely observing the fact of mediocrity in the sense of being average, fairly well educated, earning a livelihood and perhaps capable of clever discussion; but this leaves us still bourgeois, mediocre, not only in our attitudes but in our activities."

- Jiddu Krishnamurthy
The Awakening of Intelligence

I tried interpreting it in several ways, but it still did not answer my questions on mediocrity. Though I understood the importance of sensitivity, I wasn’t sure of it’s relevance to mediocrity, Yes, I certainly realize that sensitivity negates mediocrity in our attitudes, but actions? Well, I will also have to agree that attitudes reflect on our actions but does it help me overcome the insignificance of my actions or my self itself that I questioned initially. Hmmmmm... It probably does!

7 comments:

Shyam said...

No comments :)

Anonymous said...

Interesting.

life would be simpler without ambition
How many times have I asked myself that, but some small tiny voice refuses to believe that and warns of a 'grass is greener' syndrome.

Perhaps because it is out of context, I do not understand. Is 'sensitivity' an awareness of being who you are? In the context of this quote, that you are mediocre? Care to elucidate? Or not. Not a big deal in the end :)

-Smriti, I came here from your out-of-the-blue Giant Robot comment on LJ :-))

direkishore said...

@Smriti thx for stopping by. The next post probably should suggest, that even I have had a hard time realising this quote. To put it in simple terms, Jiddu says, sensitivity negates mediocrity. But what is this sensitivity ? Sensitivity is the way you percieve everything, and as Jiddu himself points elsewhr and as you rightly said, it begins with an understanding of who you are.

I am sorry if I wasn't clear enough.

Anonymous said...

Shiva, this is a very profound saying by Jiddu about mediocrity.
My 2 cents -
Sensitivity for me is actions as a result of awareness. The mediocre have a sense of awareness, but just dont reflect that in their actions.

Mediocrity is immaterial of ambition. Its just a result of half-hearted efforts!

Shiva, ur blog made a very good read..

-Sandeep (RV one)

Akira said...

Hm...a topic that I ponder over often... (mediocre comment eh?)

direkishore said...

@Sandeep Thanks for stopping by and your comment. It is surprising that the quote can be interpreted in many ways.

@akira thank you for stopping by, hopefully that was some more food for thought!

Akira said...

Shiva,

This post has been at the back of my mind since the time I read it...I guess I have something better to write about than before...

I had a hard time interpreting Jiddu K's quote..I agree when he says that people think of mediocre = avg....thats the way I understand the word too; getting by , not being number 1

I don't relate mediocrity w/ insignificance as a synonym...no endeavor is petty or small really rt?...however mediocrity (being average) can make you insignificant...

I agree w/ Sandeep on his thoughts on mediocrity and sensitivity...

I think one ends up being mediocre when complacency dominates over ambition....and these two are to a greater extent a function of your early social circumstances...mediocrity might also be a result of lack of broadened horizons and in this case it is something that the individual is completely unaware of....

Hmm...thats it fr now.. :)

Categories

Blog Archive

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 2.5 License.