Thursday, July 05, 2007

Bantureethi Kolu ...

Music without lyrics is incomplete and a mere transliteration/translation can never do justice. Though my telugu allows me to appreciate the lyrics only to a limited extent, Tyagaraja's compositions are of a different class.

I have been hooked to "Bantureethi Kolu" for over a month now and I am deeply enamored with this composition. I would rank this as one of my favorite non-pancharatna Tyagaraja kritis.

Surprisingly enough, I haven't found a single vocal rendition of this kriti to my satisfaction. If you know of one, please do drop a line. For now, Listen to this on Veena by ChittiBabu.

6 comments:

Shyam said...

I think Sowmya has sung this well.
Try on musicindiaonline.

Unknown said...

What madhukar has heard is by M.S. He thinks it is very good.

Arvind Brahmakal said...

Bantu reeti koluvu eeavayya Rama..try if u can get rendition by Voleti Venkateshwarulu / Balamurali / D K Pattamal

Samba said...

Was Tyagaraja born in Tyagarajanagar?

Swami said...

Unnikrishnan on musicindiaonline has sung this very well

Anonymous said...

Here is my translation of the lyric.
" Rama, why don't You please employ me as Your servant,
Grant me the goosebumps [that sprout on me when I think of You] as a strong protective shield,
And a medallion stamped that I am Your ardent devotee,
And then again grant me also the great sword that is Your Name ,
And sure enough Tyaga Raja will shine thus through Your lagesse.

Categories

Blog Archive

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 2.5 License.